Even as someone who thoroughly enjoys math, I can vouch for the fact that it's not always the most exciting subject in a school day. Some of that is simply inherent to the topic. Math doesn't come with the same cool stories as, say, history. There aren't the same gadgets in a math classroom that accompany a science class. The kind of creativity students use to write poetry or short stories doesn't translate as well to geometry (which isn't to say creative thinking isn't still useful in math).
But is math boring? It definitely doesn't have to be, and one of the challenges I know I'll have as a math teacher is to create a classroom where students look forward to learning. How will I do that? I'm not exactly sure yet, but I've got some ideas.
During my first three weeks in the Secondary MAC program, the power and value of group work has really come clear to me. When my colleagues and I work on an activity together, ideas get shared quickly, different viewpoints come to the forefront and I always leave the group with a better understanding of the topic and more perspective than when I started.
I think the same kinds of techniques can be used in math. I don't want to be the teacher standing up front, trying to impart wisdom to students hour after hour. I want the students to be engaged with me, and just as important, each other. To encourage that kind of collaboration, I want to work to set up a classroom that fits with group activities. Having students sit at tables, perhaps four to a table would be a way to start. In that setting, communication between students becomes considerably easier, and makes it easier for them to rely on each other for assistance.
Another potential way to raise the "excitement" factor of math is through the use of technology. This is an area where I know I have a lot to learn. What's out there? I'm sure there are many, many tools I'm simply not aware of yet. For instance, until I took a geometry class during the winter semester, I had no idea about the capabilities of a touch screen. Our professor would project an image from his computer onto a large screen in front of the class, then use his finger to manipulate the images. It was pretty cool, and it was a way to graphically present concepts with a lot of educational impact.
So as I move forward with my classes and begin observing my mentor teacher in the fall at Romulus High School, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for ways in which I can help make math interesting. Any ideas? Let me know.
This may seem a little random, but maybe the fact that you yourself are reconnecting with math after a career focused on writing/journalism can facilitate your connecting with your students in ways that may not be available to all of your fellow math educators. Perhaps you'll find that some of the struggles your students will have will be more understandable to you, and easier to relate to.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, check out an example of what a fellow math educator who also understands the power of words did with his students, putting students in the role of explaining their math work to their peers.
John
ReplyDeleteI also have a few examples of great uses of technology in Mathematics to share with you.
Example of School in NC using cell phones for Math
http://www.wirelessweek.com/Article-Math-Goes-Mobile.aspx
MathCasting with Voicethread
http://math247.pbworks.com/5NS2-5
Math Blogging
http://spmath84108.blogspot.com/2009/01/pay-it-forward_6714.html
Math Podcasting with Math Dude
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/itv/mathdude/MD_Podcasts.shtm
Digital Storytelling with Math
http://www.yodio.com/yo.aspx?cardId=LvAhgDUPZd6UbBgsTMN2aC
John,
ReplyDeleteI definitely share your concern about making math exciting and engaging. As you said, group work can help students enjoy and be more active in the math classroom. One of the reasons I loved mathematics in college was due to its collaborative nature.
But figuring out how to collaborate in high school math isn't as straightforward. It might be helpful to have the students working together to solve a problem. BUT the problem must be a challenging one that the class hasn't seen before. You must also be willing to let students struggle with the problem and try to bounce ideas off of each other instead of off of you. And I think collaboration can only be successful if your classroom fosters an environment where asking questions, getting things wrong, have to look things up, etc is seen in a positive light.
I also think that activities (with or without technology) can really get the students excited. In classes I was a TA for, the kids (even college students) ate up Jeopardy as a review game. Math basketball was also really popular in my high school. I think just getting the kids active in the classroom automatically makes it more fun.
If I have any better insights, I'll let you know. And please let me know if you come across something great!
Hey John,
ReplyDeleteThe comment you made about math not having exciting stories, such as history, may not be altogether true [whew!].
While your math class will be, well, a math class, as Pat said the other day, the stories behind some of the mathematicians are really interesting [these were some of the most controversial people of their time!]. And, with math, you can TOTALLY branch out into physicists and more.
One person to get you started... the whole Galileo controversy/the planets revolve around the sun thing. He got into a lot of trouble with the catholic higher-ups for his contributions to science... i have some documents if you're interested in reading them.
AND, if it fits, you might be able to do some of the basic math revolving [haha no pun intended] around orbits, etc.
:)
Hi John!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your concerns about teaching math. I think the biggest challenge when teaching math will be just getting students to a point where they are open to learning, as so many students enter the classroom thinking, as you said, that math is boring or that they aren't "math people". Students have decided not to learn math, so it's going to take a lot to engage them.
I also like that you talked about communication in math class. I think math is too strict a binary when thinking about math/science vs. humanities. Fluency in the language of math is essential to understanding the subject. Group work, problems at the board, etc. are great ways to facilitate discussion and encourage students to "speak math".