Friday, October 16, 2009

Getting a restart

Since my last post, time has simply flown. The semester is nearly halfway over, I've had some great experiences in classes at Michigan, and have also made a change in my placement. Moving from Romulus High School to Pioneer in Ann Arbor has been the biggest adjustment of the fall. After spending two weeks with my mentor teacher at Romulus, I felt that I really needed to work with a teacher with a different teaching style. It was a tough decision for a number of reasons; the students at Romulus were great, it was a caring school community and my mentor teacher and I had developed a very good relationship. Since making the change, though, I'm sure it was the right move for me. Although it's taking some time to get to know another group of students, and become acclimated to a new school and different classroom environment, I feel like I'm learning so much in every aspect of teaching. Making the transition easier is the fact that I already know some of the teachers from my years of covering high school sports as a reporter. It's been nice to see those familiar faces in the hallways.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John:
    If this question can be answered, what do you mean by a different teaching style? What did not "fit" to you? I respect your decision, if you can't answer.
    There have been many observations of "styles' that would not fit to me, but seem to work for the particular teacher. The difference is perhaps personality combined with goals.
    I would like your comments in return. Thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete

As a teacher in training, I appreciate your comment on my blog.