One of my last assignments of the semester, a Webinar that Kya and I will be hosting, will take place tomorrow. Earlier in the fall, and most certainly in the summer, my emotions about the assignment would have been a combination of fear, dread, trepidation. Basically anything involving apprehension. Technology has never been my thing, and because of that, I have really been challenged by our Educational Technology course.
I didn't want to Twitter (and still don't) and I wasn't all that high on blogging, but I do appreciate the gentle prodding I've received to try out various technologies and see how they might fit within the teaching profession. I like live blogging. During a geometry class at Pioneer High, I used a clay animation video that Ryan and I created to good effect. Though few students had heard the Journey tune accompanying the video, they liked seeing a theorem put to clay and song. Working on a podcast with Sarah was a blast, and I actually find myself eager to get to Wednesday's Webinar.
Instead of creating anxiety, it has gotten me excited. I'm looking forward to trying out the technology (let's hope it goes smoothly) and then seeing how some of the tools from the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives can be used in a classroom next semester. I'm still no techno-geek and probably never will be. But I do feel like I have conquered some fears.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
John,
ReplyDeleteI relate to your fears and trepidation about technology. Through this class, I too have learned to conquer some of those fears. I enjoyed liveblogging and the claymation exercise as well.
I know what you mean about kids recognizing older tunes -- I played a Neil Young song for my unit plan in Methods and everyone suggested I use a more contemporary artist to relate to the students. But good songs are good songs, right?