Monday, July 27, 2009

Looking forward to what comes next

We received a delightful break recently from the academic grind of summer in the MAC program to actually speak and listen to REAL LIVE STUDENTS. We were afforded the opportunity, a couple of weeks ago to speak – via phone - with some high school students from New York City who were visiting Detroit to attend a conference.

The teacher, a graduate of the MAC program, led the students on their adventure to Michigan, and took time to help coordinate a question and answer session with our cohort. The exchanges were wonderful. The students told us what characteristics they liked and didn't like in teachers, for example, and we answered questions about our college majors, and how we arrived at those academic destinations. The students were thoughtful, interesting and interested and obviously talented in their use of language (several submitted poems that we watched them read on YouTube).

It was a nice reminder, for me and many others, I believe, of why we're in this program. The educational underpinnings we're receiving this summer, a foundation steeped in theory, have their place. But it's the opportunity to begin working with students, and putting some of the things we've learned in June and July to practical use, that I'm really looking forward to.

2 comments:

  1. That was an inspiring group of young people, wasn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed the encounter.
    Liz and I are hoping to arrange for Lauren to meet with all of you in person sometime this fall...keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John
    Jeff gets all the credit for bringing Lauren and her students into our classroom. Lauren is an amazing teacher and her blog is a great one to follow!

    ReplyDelete

As a teacher in training, I appreciate your comment on my blog.