Thursday, December 17, 2009

Video games and learning

Earlier this semester, I was part of a group that debated the merits of using video games in the classroom. I have yet to see video games in action in academics, but I'd like to find out if students can learn as much about math through video games as they do about racing, battling aliens and terrorists and football play calling.

It appears as if more students will get the opportunity in the near future, since Microsoft is among the corporate players lending their support to video games in learning. I personally think the potential is great. There are many reasons video games are enticing: players get rewarded for success by being allowed to advance to the next level, they can collaborate with friends and they can sometimes use their knowledge to create personalized versions of a game.

My two sons are avid video game players, and to watch them play and talk about the games, it's apparent there is plenty of learning happening. I hope they get the opportunity to apply their interest in gaming at school.

2 comments:

  1. It will be very interesting to see how the question of video games as learning tools plays out over the course of your career, John. I think about that interview with James Gee that you showed. Though he embeds his thinking about video games as learning tools in a somewhat radical critique of schools, my hunch is that Gee's ideas will get more attention in the near future, even if his overall message about schools remains a little too hot to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that gaming will help enhance school or take away from important activities?

    ReplyDelete

As a teacher in training, I appreciate your comment on my blog.